Saturday, April 1, 2017

Printer back to working

It took a bit longer than I intended but my printer is all back to working. I used paracord as sleeving again. It's perfectly sized for four 20-some awg wires. I got the wiring done enough that I could reassemble it and then started it on printing upgrades. A self-upgradable machine is still one of the most amazing things to me. As I'm writing this it's printing this Egg-bot since I've been meaning to the last 2 years for Easter and never got around to it. Anyway, not much to explain, here are some pictures!
Lengthening wires
Extending the right-hand Z axis wiring & sleeving
I used wire sleeving from the auto-parts store of the extruder / carriage wires
The rats nest of my Ramps while printing upgrades

Monday, February 6, 2017

Changes for 2017

I'm not sure there is a need for this post, but anyway. NEW THINGS!! Anyway I just decided to use this as my general blog, instead of focusing ONLY on the developments of various robots and electronics. Which clearly I have not updated this in a while, so here's a quick 3d printer update. Below is the same 3d printer I have been using, slow updates as needed and tested. Right now though you can see it's been eating by cardboard boxes... I was attempting to keep some heat in for a set a prints. It was not a helpful as I thought it would be and makes it difficult to do repairs or get to anything. That has to come apart again, and I'll be rewiring it again, there will be a post for that next week.

And here is the pile of parts for my new Mostly 3d printed CNC, I have most of the mostly printed parts mostly printed... and sitting in a boots box, I'm a bit behind on that.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

I decided to sell my second Printer. It's a great little thing. I'm definitely going to do some upgrades on the older one to make it more like this one. I think I also want to make a smaller one,   such as a Tantillus. Mendel size printers are great, but I need an apartment sized machine, a bit smaller, fits on the kitchen counter easily. Well I have most of one printer broken in a corner. My first printer which was partially sacrificed should be rebuilt first.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Prusa Mendel 0002

So, this is nearly working now. It's a Prusa Mendel i2, I've tentatively labeled it Prusa 0002, classy right? It turned out that PLA LM8UU bushings needed a little work, I ran an m8 threaded rod through them. When I reinstalled the bushings they work great on the m8 smooth rods. Then I turned up the motor controllers until they didn't whine or overheat. All the axises seem to be working. I managed to print a small gear, that looks great.. 0.28mm layer height, god that looks great. The final problem I have is the extruder is consistently destroying plastic filament instead of pushing it to the extruder hot end.

The machine though is really clean and looks good. All Black ABS, and Green PLA Bushings. The wiring is all cut to length and then I used a green paracord to wrap the wires. The Z-motors actually had to be rewired since the wires weren't long enough to get around the frame and to the base. I'm using a sanguinololu, heated bed, and a budaschnozzle. The Budaschnozzle hot end is great. just great. I'm going to post about each bit that makes this machine unique in the next couple days. until then...

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Well I should have movement, but the cheap LM8UU bearings I bought are... well, cheap. They're binding too much on the 8mm smooth bar I bought at McMaster Carr.  I suppose I'll print some PLA bushings to replace them. So, a quick plastic switch in my main printer and this second one should be working

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Box of Bits and Bobs

A box of bits and bobs that will be a 3d Printer

My recent iteration of a Prusa Mendel that made the 'box of bobs'


Well almost a year since my last post... better late than... well whatever. I've been working slowly, ploddingly, but unfortunately not documenting much because work has been so sporadic on this.